Friday, October 28, 2011

Where has Autumn Run Off To?

Dearest Friends,

Happy Happy Autumn! And Happy October (what is left of it that is!) I am so sorry for such a prolonged absence.  I have been very busy but really, my internet was just being a beast and for some reason would not let me work on my blog, respond to comments, etc. for a very long while.  It seems to be working finally today, so now that I'm thinking of writing a blog, I'm giving it a try!

Autumn is almost over already.  For our region, it will likely still be around another month or so. Maybe a bit less.  But I recall many Thanksgivings when it was hotter outside than inside....and we felt we were roasting ourselves instead of the turkey!  ;-)  Haha! But seriously, it can be very warm on Thanksgiving day. Personally, I like a crisp, cool fall day for Turkey Day because it just feels right to me, and makes the warm, savory dishes and scrumptious turkey and steaming hot mugs of cocoa, cider or tea just that much better. Can you tell I am anticipating Thanksgiving? Yes! I am. I admit, it is probably my favorite holiday of all, though it is tied with Christmas. Thanksgiving dinner is my favorite meal of all. Has been long as I can remember.  Thankfully, when I attempted my first full-blown Thanksgiving dinner as a newlywed all by myself, it was a fabulous success! Just as my husband!  :-)  We had enough leftovers to feed an army and most of it freezes quite well so we had work lunches to last us several days, too.  So yummy! I'm getting hungry now.....

I haven't read much lately just for fun.  Rather sad I suppose. But I do read a ton in cycles, really.  I love to read and just read and read and read until I can hardly stand to see a book . . . then I read some here and there. Then I start the process all over again.  :-)  I have enough reading with my full time Masters program just starting up, that in my free time I'd rather do something unrelated to reading or writing usually!  However, I will finish the books I started in due time. And will do so gladly!

What's up in your end of the world? I have missed reading the blogs of all my dear bloggy friends. I've really only read one here and there and have such a lot of reading to do! But it's delightful! They are all so good!

If you care to leave a comment or just a nice "hello," please do! It's reassuring to see you are all still "out there" and that you have noticed that I've posted again and am back on the grid! ;-)  Have a lovely fall day!

5 comments:

  1. Hey, lovely to 'hear' from you again!

    We don't celebrate Thanksgiving over here but it's a holiday that I've often thought of adopting. One of my best friends is from Tennessee too, so I could get it up and running with her :0)

    Autumn is definitely in full swing over here. Leaves all changing and a real nip in the air. Plus the darker mornings, shorter evenings and the clocks going back this weekend.

    Enjoy your bloggy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to see that you're back :)
    I wish I could share your anticipation of thanksgiving, but we don't celebrate it! I did get to meet an American couple (they're so great!) and they invited us to come celebrate with them, but it's the weekend we're in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving again as well. For one thing, I get a couple of days off work to spend a nice, long weekend with my wonderful wife. And also, my wonderful wife is indeed a wonderful cook. ;-) It's just as she said in her post, last year's meal was fantastic!

    For my wife's friends across the pond or anywhere outside the US, I say if you want to adopt the Thanksgiving holiday, you should. While the holiday is certainly traditionally American and based off of the "First Thanksgiving" with the Native Americans, I, and many others I know, see it as so much more than that now. We celebrate and remember to give thanks for all that we have been blessed with, no matter how great or small. That is something that anybody, American or not, can certainly celebrate and do.

    So even if you don't get to have the day off from work for a holiday, or if you can't cook a huge meal, be thankful for the gifts God has given you and for the loved ones around you. Then you will be celebrating the spirit of the Thanksgiving! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for Thanksgiving either! We decorate for Christmas the day before. We have so many traditions for both holidays. For thanksgiving it is the kick off for the Christmas celebration...the ultimate "thanksgiving" for me is the birth of Jesus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kirsteen: Thanks for the welcome back! And I think you should "adopt" Thanksgiving! I'm all for it! It's a great holiday for anyone, regardless of where they live! :)

    @Evelien: oh bummer! Wish you could have celebrated Thanksgiving this year, too! But what matters most is the spirit of Thanksgiving, it's in our hearts, and you can always carry that with you! And I hope you had a WONDERFUL time in Paris, too, dear! :)

    @Joe: You are so right! I agree, even if you don't have the day off or holiday or live in America, you can celebrate Thanksgiving!

    @Mrs. Pedersen: We had a great Thanksgiving with more than enough food (eating more pumpkin pie and whipped cream as I type! haha) and plenty to be thankful for! Hope yours was lovely! I am excited about Christmas and the true meaning of it, too!

    ReplyDelete