Monday, June 20, 2011

My weekend . . . In an Acorn

Oh, wait, that's supposed to be, in a nutshell, right?  ;-)  Couldn't help myself, I love originality!

So, friends, how was your weekend?  If you did anything absolutely splendiforous, out of the ordinary or even mundane but somehow engaging, I'd love to hear about it!  I always appreciate comments!  The exchange is fun, right?

Here's my weekend, in a acorn nutshell. . . .

  • Friday afternoon I called up my man at work and asked him, "Hey, do you want to go on a date with me tonight?" And I really meant, can I get you from work 20 min early so you and I can go see the afternoon matinee opening of "Green Lantern"?? Which of course I asked him in detail.   He was T-H-R-I-L-L-E-D to accept.  Might I say, it makes my day when I am able to make his?  So, we trotted on over the local theater and thoroughly enjoyed our 4:30pm showing of "Green Lantern" as a nice move date-night!  Let me tell you, that was a smart idea, that one.  Going at 4:30 to the opening of a new movie rocks the house, because you totally avoid the massive crowds yet have all the thrill of going to the movie the first night it's in theaters!  And I might also add, the movie was a lot of fun.  Thrills and chills and (very) few frills, it was a neat superhero/comic book film!  And my husband?  He loved it!  :-) 
  • Saturday was an amazing day for us.  I hadn't slept well the night before, so I actually felt like I was in a bit of a daze all day long, which wasn't the best of times but it also wasn't the worst of times (Sorry Charles Dickens!).  Other than feeling a tad groggy, I had a day at home with my husband that I would consider enjoyable . . . simply because we were allowed to just "be."  There were no pressing engagements, no babysitting gigs (mind you, I can always appreciate the income I garnish when babysitting, so I'm happy to do so!), no appointments, no must-do-home-improvement projects. . . . just time to "be" and "be together."  I did ask that we go to Hastings in the afternoon, which my husband kindly obliged as he also enjoys Hastings and he likes to make his wife's day!  So we went and leisurely perused the shelves upon shelves of books -- all in all I might have looked over about 12 shelves out of 50ish?  But it was fun and I did come home with two treasures for a great price, as they were gently used.  One was a novel by Lynn Austin, the author of the book "Hidden Places" that was made into a Hallmark movie a few years ago.  I had watched a few minutes of the movie and really liked it, then I found the movie for $5 at Sam's Club and snatched it up.  Still have to sit down and watch it through with my husband, of course!  But, this book I purchased by her looks to be excellent with a unique story line.  I will have to tell you the title later, should you ask, because at the moment I cannot recall!  I also picked up a nice edition of "Robinson Crusoe," an edition released by Focus on the Family I believe.  So, having never read this wonderful classic, I am greatly anticipating getting to sit down and read it out of my own copy in the near future!  
  • While at Hasting's, we made use of a coupon we got for $4 off any two newly released movies.  That's a nice coupon!  After looking over any and all movies that applied, we chose 1) the movie we'd come for in the first place, "True Grit" and 2) "Red Riding Hood" from the producers of the Twilight films, apparently.  We watched the latter, first.  It was an interesting twist on the usual fairy tale of Red Riding Hood and honestly, I liked it a lot!  Beautiful landscapes for one, a twisted plot, and good movie effects.  Then we watched "True Grit" last night.  Let me tell you, that really is a good movie! Especially if you enjoy Westerns/frontier stories, as I always have.  I am not a fan of EVERY Western out there, but I always enjoyed a few of them, especially the older films with Jimmy Stewart or John Wayne!  I thought Jeff Bridges gave a bully performance as Rooster Cogburn.  And the little girl, the main character, was hysterical to me.  She's so sharp-witted and what a fast tongue!  :-)  I enjoyed the movie and it seemed my husband did, as well!  
  • Okay, so, this post is actually growing lengthy, much longer than I thought it would be!  I will end by saying we also had a lovely time at church yesterday morning, and savored bowls of my delicious homemade beef and vegetable stew with a side of homemade cornbread for supper, the perfect meal on any day but most definitely on the night we watched a frontier movie!  I love me some homemade beef and vegetable stew, especially because I make it in my slow cooker which is the BEST appliance known to man for cooking in this summer heat!  
  • One final note . . . . have you seen "True Grit"?  Or "Red Riding Hood"?  I would love to hear your thoughts on either/both!  

Have a Marvelous Monday you all!   

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, I think you may have just given me an idea for my date night this next Saturday! I think I'll see if Jared (my bf) wants to grab dinner and go see 'Green Lantern' with me. Jared looooves anything comics/superheros/marvel/dark horse related so that would probably make HIS day! =)

    It sounds like you had a busy and really nice weekend, Rachel. I love going to look through used bookstores and snatching up unbelievable deals! It sounds like you scored a few.

    I've not seen 'True Grit' but I did go to see 'Red Riding Hood' in theaters and to be honest I didn't like it at all. For me the movie was too dark, the music score was weak, and the plot was predictable. I figured out who the Big Bad Wolf was within the first 15 minutes of the movie. Well, I guess to each his/her own, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I haven't seen either.
    We had our church outing on Saturday, so old and young spent the day on a gorgeous beach on the east side of the island. .... AND we had sunshine all day -Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sarah Elizabeth: sounds like a good plan! I am pretty sure Jared would enjoy "Green Lantern"! It was different than the other superhero movies I've seen in some respects, at the very least, the story line. :) Have fun! And yes, I'm excited about my book finds; the one by Lynn Austin is called "Eve's Daughters." Seems Lynn is a Christian author. "Red Riding Hood" was interesting -- like I said, I liked it, but just the same it's probably only in my top 100 films, not top 20 or 50! "True Grit" was very good, however.

    @HomeschoolontheCroft: It's okay! You may see one or the other someday. I think your church outing sounded like fun, I would have loved to go with you all! :) I love the beach and the ocean! And sunshine on the beach is the best!

    Joe: Yes, 'nuff said. LOL :) My man of few words sometimes.... Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the Green Lantern. I hope we have some free time this weekend to head to the movies. :)

    I haven't seen True Grit or Red Riding yet...I heard that TG was amazing, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @heather: I hope you get to go see it, too! Let me know what you think of it. It had some "typical" aspects, as far as a superhero film based off a comic goes. But it was enjoyable and honestly, it also made me jump in my seat more times than any movie has in the recent past! LOL

    ReplyDelete