Thursday, February 5, 2015

Truly Hearing

"I love The Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live." Psalm 116:1-2.
This is so very true. Because He loved me first, because he turned his ear toward me and HEARD me, I call on him. I can call on him, I can and do trust him. I feel heard. I feel safe. And I will continue to call on him!
As one who has been unheard when I needed to be heard, I understand the pain that accompanies another person's unwillingness to hear. I have been truly listened to, as well at crucial times when I needed a voice. It is one of the most fundamental and yet life changing experiences we can offer another human being, to truly listen to them without judgment and without immediately preparing our defense (or offense, or excuse!). To listen to them, to show them that you hear them and recognize them as a valued individual with their own, unique voice is a beautiful thing. And you know what? It builds up relationships. Because if a person isn't heard and isn't heard over and over, the trust they have is corroded and eventually withers completely.
Are we listening? Are we loving others as we want to be loved through giving them this fundamental sign of respect for them? This is my challenge to myself and to you, today!

No comments:

Post a Comment